Correctly hanging and caring for your wallpaper is paramount and the following instructions will show you how to hang wide width wallpaper the correct way. Our wide width wallpaper is almost three times the width of standard wallpaper which means you will get so much value for money with our fabulous range of designs.
What You'll Need
Embarking on the journey of transforming your living space with fresh wallpaper is an exciting endeavour. To ensure your project goes off without a hitch, it's essential to have the right tools at your disposal. Before you begin hanging wide width wallpaper, make sure you have the following tools to hand:
- Your Choice of Wallpaper: Start with the star of the show – your beautiful, carefully chosen wallpaper. The design and quality are the foundation of your new interior.
- Wallpaper Paste/Adhesive: A good quality wallpaper paste is crucial for a durable and smooth finish. Make sure it's suitable for your wallpaper type.
- Wallpaper Brush: This tool will become your trusted companion, helping to evenly spread the adhesive and smooth out any air bubbles. Don't forget to have a smaller brush on hand for those pesky corners.
- Clean Cloths: Use these to gently smooth out air bubbles and wrinkles that may appear during the hanging process. A clean start ensures a flawless finish.
- Sharp Stripping Knife: Removing old wallpaper scraps or dealing with imperfections on the wall is a breeze with a sharp stripping knife. It's a must-have for achieving a clean canvas
- Sharp Scissors: Precision is key. You'll need sharp scissors to trim the wallpaper edges neatly and accurately.
- Filler: Before wallpapering, make sure your wall is in perfect condition. Filler is your go-to solution for repairing any holes or gaps on the surface.
- Sandpaper: If your wall has any bumpy areas, sandpaper will help you create a smooth and even base for your new wallpaper.
- Plumb Line Measuring Tool: Straight lines are the hallmark of a professional wallpaper job. A plumb line measuring tool ensures that your lines are perfectly vertical.
- Tape Measure and Pencil: Before cutting your wallpaper, use these tools to measure your walls accurately and mark where you need to trim. Precision matters.
- Stepladder: To reach the full width of your wall comfortably and safely, a sturdy stepladder is essential. It ensures you can work efficiently at different heights.
- Protective Dust Sheets: Keep your flooring and furniture free from any stray adhesive or dust by laying down protective dust sheets. Your home deserves to stay clean and pristine.
- Protective Mask and Safety Glasses: Your safety is paramount. Protect yourself from dust and adhesive fumes with a mask and safety glasses. A comfortable workspace is a productive one.
Now that you've gathered all the necessary tools, you're well on your way to creating a luxurious and impeccably finished living space with your Voyage Maison wallpaper. The next step is to prepare your wall for wallpapering.
Prepare Your Wall for Wallpaper
Once you have all tools to hand, follow these preparation steps to ensure your walls are in perfect condition, ready for wallpapering:
- Remove Existing Wallpaper: Carefully use your stripping knife to peel away any existing wallpaper. Take your time and be gentle, ensuring not to harm the wall beneath.
- Inspect and Repair: Examine your walls closely for cracks or gaps. Should you spot any imperfections, use your filler to fill them in. Afterward, sandpaper the patched areas for a flawlessly smooth finish.
- Remove Fixtures and Fittings: For a seamless wallpaper application, unscrew any fixtures and fittings on the wall. This ensures that the wallpaper can be applied without obstructions.
- Deep Clean: Give your walls a thorough scrub using a clean sponge and warm, soapy water. This step is crucial in removing any accumulated grease or grime. A clean surface is essential for proper wallpaper adhesion, and it guarantees a smooth, polished result.
- Allow to Dry: After cleaning, let your walls air dry overnight. Adequate drying time is essential to ensure that your wallpaper adheres perfectly and doesn't develop a bumpy texture.
How to Hang Wide Width Wallpaper
Choose Your Starting Point
Select a starting point in the room and lightly draw a vertical guideline on the wall to make sure your wallpaper is straight when you hang it.
Measure and Prepare Your First Drop
Measure the length of the first wallpaper drop. Make sure to add a little extra length at the top and bottom for trimming.
Remove Edge Protectors
Your wallpaper may have printed edge protectors. Carefully cut these away along the dotted line using scissors. You don't need to be overly precise; we've allowed for a 2cm overlap to ensure a perfect fit.
Cut and Number Your Drops
Using your length measurement, cut the wallpaper drops you'll need for your project and number them for easy identification.
Paste the Wall
Using your pasting brush, apply adhesive to the area where the first drops will go.
Hang the First Drop
Start by pressing the top of the first wallpaper drop onto the pasted wall. Keep the rest of the paper off the wall while you align the edge with the vertical guideline you marked earlier. Once lined up, use a plastic spatula to smooth out the paper and remove any air bubbles.
Trim the Excess
Once you have your first section in place, trim the excess wallpaper at the top and bottom.
Hang the Second Drop
Now, paste the required area for the second drop. Hang the second drop, ensuring it overlaps the edge of the first drop and matches the pattern precisely. Secure the rest of the paper as before.
Cut Through the Overlap
With a sharp blade and a precision metal edge as a guide, carefully cut through the centre of the overlap and underlap.
The overlap pieces you have just cut will need removed. Remove the strip underneath first, then the second strip. Once these are out of the way, fold back the edges and reapply adhesive. Press the edges back into position to create a seamless join. Finally, trim any excess at the top and bottom.
By following these clear and simple steps, you'll have your wide width wallpaper up and looking beautiful in no time. If you’re still unsure about how to hang wide width wallpaper, watch our video guide below.
Alternatively, download a copy of our How to Hang Wallpaper Guide.
Now that we've walked you through the steps on how to hang wide width wallpaper, you’ll be able to hang your wallpaper effortlessly to achieve a professional finish. Your journey to elevating your living space has just begun, and the result promises to be nothing short of spectacular.
As you embark on your wallpapering project, don't forget to explore our remarkable Voyage Maison Wallpaper collection. It's an embodiment of elegance and style, offering you the chance to immerse yourself in captivating designs that effortlessly elevate any room into a haven of sophistication. Why not check out our wallpaper buying guide to help you decide the best style for your space or find our more with our Wallpaper Q&A. With Voyage Maison, your dream of a beautifully transformed interior is just a wallpaper away. Your home deserves nothing less than the finest, and we're here to make it a reality. Happy decorating!